Inquiry: I wanted to discover, utilize and evaluate methods of integrating art history into studio and course work in a more meaningful, engaging and relevant manner for students. Teaching mostly open courses meant that I had many different types of learners in my classes which made the art history component of the course a challenge for me and many of my students.
Summary of Strategies Used to Improve Student Achievement
- I used more word walls to introduce and review principles of art history periods.
- I used exemplars to demonstrate methods of analysing artists’ work from different time periods as well as their own.
- I used handouts to help students organize their analysis of art periods and specific art periods.
- I used technologies and formats (blogs) that were familiar to and more engaging for the students.
- I used performance charts to demonstrate how to improve art analysis skills.